We envision a future in which Native Americans are no longer underrepresented in the geosciences. We look to a future where native scientists take a leadership role in helping to steer our country towards a more sustainable and environmentally ethical relationship with the Earth. To appreciate and advance the geosciences while being respectful of indigenous cultures, we articulate the following values:
• We focus on supporting students, even as we recognize that we all are students.
• We respect both western and indigenous approaches to knowing about the Earth, while
recognizing that indigenous approaches historically have been undervalued.
• We believe that there are many paths to being a scientist and many traditions to draw
from. Therefore, there is no single best practice. Instead, we offer a collection of effective strategies to draw from.
• We will create ways for students to become scientists while holding onto and even
strengthening their traditional knowledge.
• We are inclusive: our focus on increasing Native Americans in the geosciences doesn’t
confine membership to either geoscientists or Native Americans.
• We will explore, make mistakes, forgive and learn together.