The Geoscience Alliance is a national alliance of individuals committed to broadening participation of Native Americans in the geosciences. Its members are faculty from tribal colleges, universities, and research centers; native elders and community members; industry and corporate representatives, students (K12, undergraduate, and graduate); formal and informal educators; and other interested individuals. The goals of the Geoscience Alliance are to:
1) create new collaborations in support of geoscience education for Native American students,
2) establish a new research agenda aimed at closing gaps in our knowledge on barriers and best practices related to Native American participation in the geosciences,
3) increase participation by Native Americans in setting the national research agenda on issues in the geosciences, and particularly those that impact Native lands,
4) provide a forum to communicate educational opportunities for Native American students in geoscience programs, and
5) to understand and respect indigenous traditional knowledge.
Special thanks to the Naitonal Center for Earth-surface Dynamics, an NSF-funded Science and Technology Center, for their ongoing support of the Geoscience Alliance.